Friday, March 30, 2012

Linked server queries getting EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION message

Help? I am an Oracle DBA struggling to support SQL Server.
Using EM I added another SQL Server database to Linked Servers with Windows
authentication. In Query Analyzer I attempt a simple SQL query and receive...
Process 54 generated fatal exception c00000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
I read thru BOL and Robert Vieira's book to setup the distributed query, and
I believe I am doing everything correctly. Scanning Google and MSKB, it
seems I hit a bug with SQL Server, but this is so simple I have a hard time
believing that.
Is my only recourse to call support' Is there anything I can check'
--
ChrisIt depends...the problem can be caused by a ton of
different things which is why it's often recommended to open
up a case with support.
What version of SQL Server? Are you on the latest service
packs?
Does this occur with any server and any database or just one
specific server and one database?
Make sure the servers, databases involved are running
correctly - check both servers server names with
@.@.Servername. Make sure the database you are accessing does
not have any consistency problems - run a dbcc on the
database you are accessing.
You may also want to check your mdac installation on the
servers. You can use the mdac component checker to do this.
It's available from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/mdac/default.aspx
-Sue
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:54:03 -0800, "Chris"
<Chris@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Help? I am an Oracle DBA struggling to support SQL Server.
>Using EM I added another SQL Server database to Linked Servers with Windows
>authentication. In Query Analyzer I attempt a simple SQL query and receive...
>Process 54 generated fatal exception c00000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
>I read thru BOL and Robert Vieira's book to setup the distributed query, and
>I believe I am doing everything correctly. Scanning Google and MSKB, it
>seems I hit a bug with SQL Server, but this is so simple I have a hard time
>believing that.
>Is my only recourse to call support' Is there anything I can check'|||Duh. I should have posted that.
We are currently running SQL Server 2000 with SP3a in Windows 2000 w SP4.
This occurs when I try to query tables on another instance on the same server.
We have a maintenance plan that performs the dbcc checks on a regular basis.
So no problem there.
Basically, I need to be able to compare the tables in the current (dev or
test) databases with a "baseline" database. So I decided to try the
distributed query from the baseline database against the dev database and it
works. But it fails the other way Or when I try to compare dev database
against test database it fails. So for now I'm ok. Later, I will
troubleshoot why I cant go from dev or test database to the baseline database.
Thanks Sue!!
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
> It depends...the problem can be caused by a ton of
> different things which is why it's often recommended to open
> up a case with support.
> What version of SQL Server? Are you on the latest service
> packs?
> Does this occur with any server and any database or just one
> specific server and one database?
> Make sure the servers, databases involved are running
> correctly - check both servers server names with
> @.@.Servername. Make sure the database you are accessing does
> not have any consistency problems - run a dbcc on the
> database you are accessing.
> You may also want to check your mdac installation on the
> servers. You can use the mdac component checker to do this.
> It's available from:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/mdac/default.aspx
> -Sue
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:54:03 -0800, "Chris"
> <Chris@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >Help? I am an Oracle DBA struggling to support SQL Server.
> >
> >Using EM I added another SQL Server database to Linked Servers with Windows
> >authentication. In Query Analyzer I attempt a simple SQL query and receive...
> >
> >Process 54 generated fatal exception c00000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
> >
> >I read thru BOL and Robert Vieira's book to setup the distributed query, and
> >I believe I am doing everything correctly. Scanning Google and MSKB, it
> >seems I hit a bug with SQL Server, but this is so simple I have a hard time
> >believing that.
> >
> >Is my only recourse to call support' Is there anything I can check'
>

No comments:

Post a Comment