Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Linked server problem

hey,

I have a sql server 2005 an I want to have a linked server to itself.
I have made a linked server an gave it enough rights.

When I do want to query all the tables I get the following error

Msg 11001, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

TCP Provider: No such host is known.

Does anybody know what the problem could bee

Linked server to itself? Why would you want to do that? Are you trying to access two different database from within the same instance?|||

It is good to know what is asked above, and the error could be due to a misconfigured linked server, but they could also be due to network or hardware issues. Of course, these errors abort the entire batch, so whether or not the rest of your code requires the remote server to be active, it still terminates.

|||

No this is for a project that later on must be devided on 2 servers.

|||

Hi vandewst,

Why do you require this ? Can you explain the exact scenario which called for this ?

Thanks

Thamizhan

|||

Please post the commands you used to set up the linked server.

Thanks
Laurentiu

|||

Hey,

I have found the fault. If you put "SQL Server" in the ProductName field in the window for making a linked server then it will change your driver automaticly to sql server. I had to use an OLDB rovider for SQL Server.

When I changed the productname to "BLABLA" it worked perfectly.

Thnak for the effort of helping me.

ps the reason why i would like to use a linked server is that i work on a development environment and I have 2 databases.
But when my application gous into production 1 of the databases will bee put on a different server. That why I linked the server to its own. Just for testing reasons

No comments:

Post a Comment