Friday, March 30, 2012

Linked Server Properties - Security - SQL Server 2000

I would like to specify a locallogin that is a domain(not local) group. It
allows me to specify it, but does not recognize when memebrs of the group are
connected. I have been forced to specify each group memebr individually. Is
there a way to make the domain groupt option work?
I do not think this is possible based on looking at the help file for
sp_addlinkedserverlogin.
Jason Massie
http://statisticsio.com
"Steve Wilkinson" <SteveWilkinson@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D6C69E85-C31A-4919-BFCE-343078675B68@.microsoft.com...
>I would like to specify a locallogin that is a domain(not local) group. It
> allows me to specify it, but does not recognize when memebrs of the group
> are
> connected. I have been forced to specify each group memebr individually.
> Is
> there a way to make the domain groupt option work?
|||Jason,
I agree. If I understand correctly, the logins must be either SQL Server or
Windows User logins, not Windows Groups. That is the only way the server
has a solid security context from which to work. (Much the same thing can
be seen in owners of SQL Agent jobs and several other security features.)
If the login is set up as @.useself=N'True' then anyone can use the link
under their own credentials. That may be too wide open for you Steve, but
if it is not, then you can control group membership on the other side of the
link when granting rights to the linked server's database(s).
RLF
"jason" <jason-r3move@.statisticsio.com> wrote in message
news:449C967C-FB40-47F8-9492-4C27A605E1DC@.microsoft.com...
>I do not think this is possible based on looking at the help file for
>sp_addlinkedserverlogin.
> --
> Jason Massie
> http://statisticsio.com
> "Steve Wilkinson" <SteveWilkinson@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D6C69E85-C31A-4919-BFCE-343078675B68@.microsoft.com...
>
|||The login connecting to my sqlserver has no credentials on the remote server.
My server is an integration point for several databases. My application has
credentials on the remote servers, but If I need to get to my server with say
a firecall id, I want to be able to access the remove servers with the same
permissions that my app has. Our firecall ids are all in a network group.
There are about 60 ids. Fortunatley, they do not change very often, so I
incorporated showmbrs.exe into my script, and add each id individually.
However, if the group changes, I will need to re-run the script. Was looking
for a better option.
"Russell Fields" wrote:

> Jason,
> I agree. If I understand correctly, the logins must be either SQL Server or
> Windows User logins, not Windows Groups. That is the only way the server
> has a solid security context from which to work. (Much the same thing can
> be seen in owners of SQL Agent jobs and several other security features.)
> If the login is set up as @.useself=N'True' then anyone can use the link
> under their own credentials. That may be too wide open for you Steve, but
> if it is not, then you can control group membership on the other side of the
> link when granting rights to the linked server's database(s).
> RLF
> "jason" <jason-r3move@.statisticsio.com> wrote in message
> news:449C967C-FB40-47F8-9492-4C27A605E1DC@.microsoft.com...
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment